Tuesday 11 February 2014

Dentist and Duff!

Had to go over to York today to pay a long overdue (5+ years) trip to the Dentist. I decided to see if I could find the Drake Smew that had been reported from Fairburn Ings. The weather was atrocious! Heavy rain and cold. I asked at the visitors centre and they told me it hadn't been reported for a couple of days. Still, it might be around somewhere? I checked the moat area and then made my way down the flashes ending up in Lyndyke hide.


No Smew unfortunately but I enjoyed the short walk...in the rain!

The weather didn't dampen this couples ardour...


Just before I left a distant Great-crested Grebe drifted into view...


...and so to Duff...


I only had a good hour due to Dental visits but the sun came out and I managed to add a few species to my year list...

Gadwall (3)
Tufted Duck (c30)
Heron
Dunlin (c100)
Ruff (10)
Redshank (15)

Year list 41

Also impressive numbers of Golden Plover (c500) and Lapwing (c1500).

No comments: