Wednesday 19 February 2014

A tale of two Smew...well, one at least!

I made my annual trip to the Wakefield area...yesterday...and today!

I failed last year, so I was determined to find it this time. Having tried previously I knew the spots to check. I enjoyed the all the spots yesterday, but I couldn't find it...again!

It's nice to go "off Patch" now and again, especially in Winter. This area is blessed with plenty of "Sawbills"...

At least 30 Goldeneye present...





Goosanders were also well represented with at least 20 seen...


Today I returned, determined to find it. On the way I stopped off at North Cave G.P. to hopefully see the female. It was a lot easier to find, although it kept it's distance...


I did eventually manage a couple of better efforts as it fortunately swam slightly closer...



BIG developments going on at this site...




So, back to Wakefield. I won't drag it out but I dipped again on the Smew!! I bumped into another birder who showed me some photos of it! I also met former Blogger Johnnybirder. Nice to meet you pal!

A pair of Bullfinches provided significant consolation...

I hadn't noticed the female!

What a cracker!

No White Nun again then. I'll try again next year...if it returns?

2 comments:

chris said...

From Chris Downes. Have you tried Cowoods Pool at Pugneys CP or the river Calder adjacent to the pool? I've seen it there recently.

Alan Whitehead said...

Thanks for that Chris. Where exactly is Cowoods Pool?