Tuesday 12 November 2013

Scilly review (2)

20/10/2013

The day started with us back at Lower Moors as a SORA had been reported at Shooters pool. Amazing really as there was  also one on Tresco! This reminded of my 1991 visit when a Spotted Crake turned into this species and became a BIG bonus British tick for yours truly. It also reminded me of the force 9 storm during my Scillonian crossing (violently sea-sick...never again). Also, this was my one and only "camping Scilly" experience!! Which included several nights on the Garrison in a sub-standard tent, complete with heavy condensation and involved sleeping in my clothes to keep warm. This was enhanced by picking up a stomach bug which introduced me to Pepto- bismol. I was younger (dafter) then.

Anyway, the SORA was never seen again, but a smart Grey Wagtail was present...


We checked out a couple of beaches nearby and found a good number of Rock Pipits on Porthloo...


A Wheatear was also present...


We returned to Morning Point late afternoon to enjoy the rough sea and spectacular scenery (it was pretty quiet bird-wise).


The Black Redstart was still present however...


Locally, I bumped into a nice Redwing in the late afternoon sun at Out Newton...


The moon was out early...


No comments: