Sunday 20 February 2011

RTD...Postscript + GGS!!!

Quite a day, yesterday. Set off with Haydn at 4.15 (should have been 4 but alarm setting issues). Made great time and arrived at Chipping Norton at 7.10. Found a parking spot close to The Leys and made our way down the hill to join "the queue". It had rained heavily all the way down but amazingly had now stopped. I mentioned it to Haydn...this was the signal for the heavens to open again!

So, the wait was on. 7.30, 7.45, 8,00, 8.15? Now, if you've read my ramblings, you'll know I'm an optimist by nature but I admit I was starting to have my doubts by now. The bird had always shown in the garden before 8 on previous days...not good. The torrential rain didn't help, neither did the bloke behind whose umbrella kept whacking us both on the head! Anyway, still no news and it was now going up for 9.

THEN...there was some movement (a twitch). The troops were reluctant to leave their places at first, but it soon became obvious there had been a sighting...
STAMPEDE! The masses then assembled between a gap in the houses as the RTD was showing, sat in a tree at the rear of the houses. The views weren't great but better than nowt. After about 5 minutes it flew off and the queue simply reassembled! Another 20ish minutes past then the same scenario happened again, this time though the troops descended to the bottom of the hill were the bird had been relocated, again sat in a tree. This time though, there was more room and everybody was able to get 'scope views. Even though the bird was obviously drenched all salient features could be seen easily. Happy days!

A few thoughts...
  • LGRE was instrumental in organising access to the houses and marshaling the movement of the masses and from what I saw he did an excellent job.
  • Reading the predictable aftermath comments on Birdforum it still saddens (but certainly doesn't surprise) me that a few people have to have a go at each other. There will always be "moments" when there are so many people in such close proximity all charged up with a common focus. Again from what I witnessed the general behaviour, considering the numbers was very good.
  • The attitude of the residents was amazing. Trays of tea brought down the line, stalls set up outside houses, numerous houses opened up for birders to view plus mobile snack van!
Today
Intended to chill out today. Went down for an hour (see below) then did a few things around the house...

MEGA...SBG again. I set off and got as far as Newark when "flew off towards tip" message appeared. So, I turned around and am obviously back at home writing this. Ah another message..."showing again on tip!!!" That's it for now as we are over at my Mothers for a couple of days but I will be going down for the day on Wednesday. I AM determined to see this bird.

Local
Bizarrely I managed 3 patch year ticks this morning in a brief visit! None on the Carrs but Great Spotted Woodpecker, Song Thrush and Stock Dove in the car park.

STOP PRESS
Took Rocky down to Bubwith bridge around 4.00. I noticed quite a few cars in the car park and thought I'd give it a miss tonight due to the hectic weekend and probable lack of seats! BIG mistake. Got back home and was just about to jump in the bath when I got a text off Russell Slack...GGS at NDC!!! I'm sure I broke my record getting to the hide. Darren Starkey was just leaving with his lads and told me it was still there. When I reached the hide Andy from the village had his scope on it. Brilliant! 2 Shrikes in 9 months, not bad for an inland site.

I think I can safely say this is a record shot! It was 5 o'clock


I owe a BIG thank you to Andy and Russell Slack for letting me know (and Louise for putting up with me). I'd foolishly turned my pager off as (I thought) I'd finished for the day? Also if I'd carried on for the Gull I'd have dipped both!!!
Funny how things turn out...on this occasion for the better.

Quite a post for me. Quite a weekend...I love it!

No comments: