Sunday 6 February 2011

Late winter mode


Decided to convince myself that winter's worst has past? So. I've taken a couple of shots (new header) to illustrate my point of view. As you can see the local patch is in fine fettle. The canvas is there and the birds can now paint it! I can't think of a better setting for me to bird a local patch.

Missed a Marsh Harrier around 11 but scored with a Peregrine at 2.15. The Pink-footed Goose is still present as is the fem/imm Goldeneye. A pair of Little Grebes are new in. Managed 16 Ruff and c60 Dunlin. Lapwing numbers continue to increase with at least 500 now present over NDC and Aughton/Ellerton Ings.
First singing Skylark is always an uplifting experience. Haydn joined me late afternoon and gripped me off with a Goldcrest in the car park! Whoopers arrived at 5.

Tried a few pics with the digital zoom today. I know they have a poor reputation and although not brilliant, there could be a use for it with a distant record shot?

18x Optical Zoom

72x Digital Zoom
Not great but passable?

Finished with an experiment through the 'scope i.e. rest the camera on the eyepiece! Complete trial and (mainly) error but again passable image. These Mallards were approx' 50 yds away...



No comments: