Thursday 24 February 2011

Miracles DO happen

Well as a born sceptic I'm now in the position of describing my SBG sighting. I have to say it's more a feeling of relief than elation. Having studied the photographs since the eve of my first visit on that manic first Saturday, I have never been more genned up on what I was looking for.

I set off at 5.30 with Joel Clegg. We arrived at Rainham around 9 and walked along the path to the viewpoint over Wennington Marsh joining 3 birders scanning the distant gulls. After around 45 minutes we decided to make our way to the dreaded tip. We set our stalls out against the fence and started to scan. The gulls were very active due to the constantly moving machinery.

After around another 45 minutes of scanning....mmmmm....amazingly I turned to Joel as he turned to me...there it was!!! I had another brief sighting and then it was gone. John Richardson (a friend of the site manager) had another sighting shortly afterwards. We continued searching to try and get the other birders present (5) onto the bird but it wasn't seen again while we were there. It was noted that birds were arriving and leaving the tip regularly. We left the site around 12.30.

Really enjoyed the company of Joel, it made the journey fly by. I like to think we deserved this sighting for making the effort. I didn't think we would see it however...

No comments: