Saturday 20 May 2023

BEE-EATER - Postscript

A few reflections on yesterday's personal milestone and my Village overall. It seems an appropriate moment. A tad self-indulgent BUT I hope you'll agree...it was rather special!

I've just returned from the morning constitutional, passing the scene of yesterday's triumph...


Cliff Paddock with
Sycamores in the distance 

BOC "in the moment" pic

I managed a lone Fulmar (H.95) South.

As already stated when I moved here 12 years ago I had dreams of what I might see here. An isolated Village on the East Coast must offer great potential... right? The thing I like best about Holmpton is just that.... potential. Yes, there can be periods, sometimes extended, when things are...quiet, and to be honest the overall "haul" has been less than expected ("don't expect anything, then you won't be disappointed")!
Also, being adjacent to Spurn can be somewhat frustrating at times when the combination of location and coverage can blow little Holmpton out of the water. It doesn't matter to me these days, as it's all (well nearly) about finding my own.

The thing is (you'll especially appreciate this if you're a Patch Birder) YOUR sightings are just that... personal...and VERY satisfying. When I look back at my records here I'm more than happy... honestly!

So, back to yesterday. I guess it was a reminder how lucky I am to have the opportunity to discover birds in a quiet, secluded Village, giving ample opportunity to "find my own". I have had some help from Richard, Gavin and Jayne on occasions, for which I'm VERY grateful. Just this Year I've added Glaucous Gull, Hooded Crow, PALLID HARRIER and now BEE-EATER. I'm more than happy with that. The last being by far the most satisfying.

It's not all about ticks (believe it or not). I'm blessed with some breeding Species that are scarce or nonexistent (sadly) in many areas...Marsh Harrier, Grey Partridge, Little Owl, Barn Owl, Sand Martin, Tree Sparrow, Yellowhammer, Corn Bunting amongst others. Autumn gives hope of Yellow-browed Warbler and maybe even a Pallas's. Snow Bunting is annual and we've even had Shorelark! Crazy records like Nightjar and Hoopoe. Then there's the Sea which offers unlimited potential, as proven by 2 fly-by White-tailed Eagles for example! Even my humble back garden has landed a Hawfinch and Pied Flycatcher in the Birdbath! As I'm writing this I'm surprising myself lol!

Bee-eater is annual in Britain and has bred on more than one occasion. To think though, that after reading the report on Thursday I would be looking at some 300yds from home the day after stretches the boundaries of possibility. The fact they chose my Village to stop off at...is truly incredible! 

I definitely appreciated it!!!

No comments: