Friday 10 February 2023

Three times Lucky

First sighting of note was Wednesday...a Snakey Lane special. I was heading to Pat' for a trim whn a decent sized dark Raptor drifted  cross the lane heading South. There are plenty of pull-ins/passing places on Snakey but they always seem to be in the wrong place when a bird appears! 

Hence the dodgy photo through the windscreen...

Marsh Harrier (H.61)

...and away South...


Thursday I made my second visit to Duff', as I figured the water levels would be just about perfect with the dry spell were experiencing. Great views of a chestnut Buzzard warming up on Snakey as I left...


On arrival at 10 I walked Bud to the platform but nothing was seen in the bushes. I set up in GS Hide and was pleased to see my hunch was correct as the water had indeed receded to reveal the "spits" towards the River. This enables excellent feeding areas for Waders...


There was also far more Wildfowl present as the surrounding areas of water had all but dried up, concentrating the birds on the Carrs. Lovely!


There is a bird on a fencepost in the far distance?

Peregrine - female

This bird never moved (as far as I'm aware) during my 5 hour visit. Maybe she had dined early? A pair of Mute Swans had started to prospecting for a possible nest site...


Other highlights were Red Kite, Marsh Harrier ( 2cc), Little Egret (2), Dunlin (65), Ruff (6), Curlew (4).

I also had another good chat with a local Birder, namely John Clarke. He told me he'd been a Birder since his youth and had lived in York all his life. Amazing I'd never bumped into him before! He'd cycled down...not bad for 76!!!

Today's early morning jaunt North revealed  yet more RTD on the sea. Another fine spectacle with at least 200 birds on the sea and in flight. An obvious bigger Diver was my first Great Northern (P.69, H. 62) of the Year. After returning home from a long walk on the beach I took in some of the India v Australia Test. While watching an excellent Test Match (proper Cricket)...a message in forming me the Iceland Gull had re-appeared on the beach at the Gas Terminal. I have to admit I didn't respond immediately...as I was knackered...but eventually I made the short drive South. On arrival I was the only one present. I walked to the cliff edge and scanned. Remarkably, I picked it up immediately on the beach to the South. It soon took flight and fortunately headed North towards me, enabling me to get a few pics...

P.70


Another Birder arrived who'd driven down from Hornsea. I just managed to get him "on it" before it disappeared North around the Cliff...

12.09

He continued North, while I headed back home...it was a bit nippy! On the way though I started wondering about the movement of this Bird...as we do. It was a long shot but I decided to give it a go at the Sewage. I toyed with Out Newton and Seaside Road but I figured the Sewage gave me more time if it was flying North?

I arrived around 12.25. As I turned the engine off, a bird flew over the car...Iceland Gull!!!

H.62


Rather fortunate...with a bit of strategic planning?!

I returned home for a late lunch glowing in my good fortune. As you know, I usually have a stroll late afternoon BUT today I thought I'd go earlier. Maybe the local celebrity would re-appear? I know this was pushing my luck. Anyway, of we went towards the second pill. The tide was out with just a few fishermen on the beach. The wind was cutting as we passed the first pill. I scanned North but the beach looked empty. I heard a Redshank and sure enough it landed on the beach. It was only there for a few seconds before continuing South...


It was now just gone 3. A lone Gull caught my eye in the distance...surely not?


Blimey! My lucky day. I rang Richard again (I'd contacted him at lunchtime) and this time he answered and said he was on his way. The bird made the occasional flight but lingered in the same area until he arrived...


Days like today make all the baron ones fade from the memory...


An unexpectedly exciting occasion on a bleak February day. That's Birding...sometimes...

No comments: