Saturday 22 December 2018

UAE - Summary

Still got "the lurg" but your intrepid Blogger is battling on!

Overall thoughts

The Dubai traffic didn't disappoint, being truly horrendous. Louise wouldn't drive and I couldn't blame her. This made navigation tricky to say the least. I downloaded Google Maps for the UAE onto my phone which worked pretty well (and saved fortunes on data). Even so, negotiating some of the junctions with EIGHT lanes of traffic was...interesting!!! Louise wasn't impressed with the overall standard of driving...if you get my drift!

At least 8 days of the holiday was spent with Rob and Laura mainly sightseeing and dining. This still gave me plenty of time to look for some Birds. You won't be surprised to hear I'm not a fan of Cities but I do like smart buildings and there are plenty to see in Dubai.


Burg Khalifa
The temperatures were at my upper limit but generally very pleasant, ranging from 25 - 30C with an almost constant gentle breeze, which helped. The time spent in the Mountains at Jebel Hafeet was particularly pleasant. Anyway, better than November in England (sorry).
 
The Birding trips made to different sites met with varying levels of success, from instant connections to complete failures. No matter, I'll be better informed next year...if they'll have us back. The information on the website is excellent and I had a couple of superb contacts (Tommy Pederson and Mark Smiles) who gave me some great tips during my visit.
 
Ebird as always was indispensable. Combined with Google Maps it enhanced my Birding experience immeasurably. The best example of this was how we negotiated the large City of Al Ain to Al Jimi's Oasis for the PALLID SCOPS OWL. Even Louise was impressed! I have added all my sightings to this wonderful site...like a good lad.


That will do I guess. So, what did I see? I've concluded my counts and decided I amassed a total of 100 species. As you know I'm reluctant to "over-do" the pics (still got camera issues) and stats, so I'm just listing the Lifers (personal highlights with comments and pic) I saw...or didn't (with excuses).

Lifers

Sand Partridge

Grey Francolin

Socotra Cormorant

Western Reef Heron

Striated Heron

Oriental Honey Buzzard

Great Spotted Eagle

CRAB PLOVER- a cracking bird I hope to get closer to next time


RED-WATTLED LAPWING - common but VERY smart!
 
 

SOOTY GULL - a VERY unusual and smart Gull
 
 
GREAT BLACK-HEADED GULL - finally nailed this monster...just!
 
 
Greater Crested Tern

PALLID SCOPS OWL - gotta love eBird!


PHAROAH EAGLE OWL - great name, great Owl
 
 
ARABIAN COLLARED KINGFISHER - Lucky to see this rare bird so well



Green Bee-eater

Indian Roller

House Crow

Brown-necked Raven

Common Myna

GREATER HOOPOE LARK - A large, distinctive Lark
 
 

Desert Lark

BLACK-CROWNED SPARROW LARK - Another smart Lark. Only a single bird seen.


Pale Crag Martin

White-spectacled Bulbul

White-eared Bulbul

Scrub Warbler

Graceful Prinia

Red-tailed Wheatear

Hume's Wheatear

MOURNING WHEATEAR - Always special to find a National Rarity!
 
 
 

Purple Sunbird

Striolated Bunting

Indian Silverbill

Not seen

Persian Shearwater

Indian Pond Heron - 2 concerted efforts but no luck from Khor Kalba bridge. Just out of view. eBird can sting sometimes!!!
 
 

Lappet-faced Vulture
 
Shikra

Pin-tailed Snipe

Chestnut-bellied Sandgrouse - considerable time spent in the right areas

Lichtenstein's Sandgrouse - not enough time to try for

Namaqua Dove

Egyptian Nightjar - not enough time to try for

Alexandrine Parakeet - couldn't find one amongst the Rose-ringed

Red-tailed Shrike

Plain Leaf Warbler - no luck at Masafi Wadi on 2 visits

Clamarous Reed Warbler - not specifically looked for

Menetries Warbler - no luck at Masafi Wadi

Arabian Babbler - thought I would have stumbled on one in suitable habitat

Variable Wheatear

I also missed White-tailed Plover (not specifically tried for but present) and the increasingly rare Sociable Plover (eBird informed me on my return that I may have scored near Jebel Hafeet!) A few Eagles were possible including LIFE Eastern Imperial and Steppe as was Great Knot at Khor al Beida. Hypocolius was present but inaccessible.

Texas April 12th...

No comments: