Sunday 12 February 2017

Working the Patch

I did the local circuit yesterday...Withernsea - Patrington - Easington. The weather was foul, so I figured I might as well stay dry...and get paid! You could say my Patch was covered well from 7.30am until 6.30pm. You get a lot of time to think while driving the local roads. We've had strong winds with an easterly element lately, combined with plenty of rain...pity it's not migration time!

We obviously notice rare/scarce birds when they turn up...if we can find 'em. What about common stuff though?

A few examples from yesterday...

1. As I was approaching Withernsea from Holmpton I noticed a flock of c35 Greylag Geese in a field by the road. No big deal but I've never seen them at this location before?

2. I saw 4 Herons during the day? A mate at the depot also commented that he'd seen "a few" around Burstwick?

3. Around 100 Fieldfare down Snakey lane...I haven't recorded any down there for weeks?

Local movements or new in with the easterlies? Who knows, I don't but the thought helped pass the day on...

......................................................................................

This morning was equally grim but dogs need exercising, so off into the gloom we went. I stopped at our usual "bad weather" location down Snakey and braved the elements...well actually, I sat in the car and threw it when he decided to bring his ball back. Then there through the gloom...a Harrier! Of course, I didn't have my camera as surely I wouldn't see anything decent in this weather?!

I will never learn.

I tried to turn it into a/the PALLID but my brief view was good enough to confirm a Hen (H.55). A great local record though.

You just never know...

No comments: