Sunday 19 July 2015

Plain-capped Starthroat - YES!

I've learnt to my cost over the years NOT to delay when trying for key birds so first stop this morning was Santa Rita lodge feeders to try for the PCS.

The weather obviously hadn't heard of my plans as the heavens opened just as we arrived at the feeders. An extremely pleasant lady in the gift shop made us some coffee as we waited for things to improve. During our chat she said the "star" bird often came to the feeder right outside the shop window. She had only just finished her sentence when there it was, albeit briefly, not 12 feet away!!

ABA 669

Note: Bubo shows 668. This is because they haven't added Hawaiian Petrel yet which is countable.

Despite waiting another couple of hours I didn't see it again and therefore didn't manage a photo. I will return. In between showers we did manage to see some great stuff coming to the various feeders.

White-winged Dove
Arizona Woodpecker
Black-headed Grosbeak
Magnificent Hummingbird
Broad-billed Hummingbird
Things to do after lunch to prepare for tomorrow's BIG day with Richard. The weather didn't improve but I had an enjoyable hour on the approach road to Madera late afternoon. The overcast conditions made rooting around the Cacti surprisingly pleasant. I was hoping for a Gambel's Quail...I got lucky...


I also puzzled over a few Sparrows? I need more practice!

Dawn till dusk tomorrow so no post. I'll hopefully have good news regarding "the Flycatcher" and my "night birds" to report on Monday. Wish me luck...

No comments: