Wednesday 6 May 2015

RED-THROATED PIPIT

I'd never seen a RTP in summer plumage so I'd been contemplating a visit. A decision to visit Mother in deepest Lancs settled it.

Took us a while to find the location. A combination of Bank Holiday traffic and dodgy minor roads delayed our arrival somewhat but we eventually found the tell-tale line of cars. The admiring group were in view from the car...


Have to say Pipits are not my favourite family of birds but this one was a stunner. So glad I made the effort and fortunate the weather was kind. It stood out even at distance...



It then did a tour of the surrounding area in the company of the Meadow Pipits. It also disappeared for intervals of 10 minutes or more. I was hoping to get some decent pictures of this cracking bird. With patience (one of my strong points!) I was able to enjoy the bird down to 30m for a considerable length of time. I also bumped into my mate Vince...nice to see you again pal. Below are a series of images showing various features of it's plumage.







Last of my long day shifts tomorrow. A late one on Friday the 3 days off. Time for some intensive Patch birding...

No comments: