Monday 12 January 2015

Deep South (8)

I'm going to try and tie things up with this post as it's ran on far to long.

Now where was I?

Nashville, Tennessee. Bit touristy this part...you may wish to move on?

Some pretty cool trucks on the freeway...


Nashville is world famous for it's Country music and there are plenty of bands still playing for tourists in the historic district...


The King had reached here too...Elvis that is!


Then onto Memphis and his home...


Fantastic Blues guitarists...


and then onto New Orleans...


If you ever get the chance to visit the States...DO IT...you won't regret it. It was simply a breathtaking and unforgettable 10 days in the middle of our tour. Would've been rude not to!

We worked our way back to Florida along the Gulf Coast arriving back at Fort Myers on April 28th. I'd already looked for "the Cuckoo" for at least 20 hours (Louise brought plenty of novels!)...

Does she look bored?
I tried again. Back to Ding Darling, my number one site. I took the Wildlife drive one more time. I was first there, so it was obviously quiet...ideal. It's a fantastic spot with plenty to look at/for. I scanned the Mangroves yet again. It can be a daunting task, there are lots of them and not many Cuckoos!!

Then a movement, surely not, after all this time? There it was!!!

Pleased with this backlit image in the early morning light

You may already know that this is a VERY difficult bird to find, more so to actually SEE. I was euphoric. This was the numero uno target and my time was running out...fast! No apologies for another as it moved slightly closer...

What a cracker!
I bumped into three tour groups in the next few days and NONE of them had seen this bird. It was in view and calling for about a minute, then it was gone.

CHUFFED!!!

Time to move on. Next stop Key West.

We were booked on the Yankee Freedom bound for the Dry Tortugas on the 30th. I'd chosen this date as some Birding tour companies would also be on the boat, hopefully increasing my chances of seeing my target bird...AUDUBON'S SHEARWATER. I'd also been in touch with a couple of boatmen but nothing had come of it, so this was my only chance. It was a slim one as one of the tour leaders informed me that he'd never seen it from the YF in ten years of visits. He reckoned the boat moved too fast...22 knots.

Anyway, we boarded in the already almost unbearable heat and humidity and I found a suitable spot up top. Louise sensibly stayed inside with the A/C, food and drink!

Not a cloud in sight as we left the harbour. The boat did shift but it's a big vessel and it was possible to scan comfortably. I reckon there were at least 50 birders scanning from the front of the boat. Being honest there wasn't much to keep us interested. I reckon we'd been going an hour or so when I noticed a movement starboard (technical stuff) or to the right! I couldn't believe my luck. There hurtling along the side of the boat was an AUDUBON'S SHEARWATER! Tremendous!


I shouted to the others allowing most if not all to get on the bird. I can't tell you the relief I felt at adding this bird to my ABA list during my one and only shot at it. This was my 664.

I could relax now and enjoy the day on the island...so could Louise!

As we approached we were taken close to the Masked Booby colony on Hospital Key...the only one in the ABA area.


Fortunately one flew past the boat giving me a closer look...



Magnificent Frigatebirds breed here on Fort Jefferson...


Awesome birds...


Other special birds here include breeding Sooty Tern...


and Brown Noddy...


There's sometimes a rare Black Noddy with them. Despite extensive scanning by yours truly and the others, none were found.

That's enough. Failed with the tie up. Never mind. Tomorrow I'll conclude the trip report. I still had 2 ABA lifers to try for and maybe a rarity if I hadn't used up all my luck? Both are exclusive breeders to Florida. I didn't intend to re-visit this State (although you should never say never) so I was keen to try and notch them. I had 2 days.

No comments: