Wednesday 1 January 2014

2013 Review

Britain

I provisionally added 5 species to my British list (see below) bringing my total to 486. I say provisionally because there seems to be some debate over the DUSKY THRUSH. It looks good to me...but what do I know? If it's "dissed" I'll obviously remove it...even though I won't agree!

DUSKY THRUSH 
BRIDLED TERN
CAPE MAY WARBLER
MOURNING DOVE
BRUNNICH'S GUILLEMOT

Big Dip was the HERMIT THRUSH.

Yorkshire

I had a stroke of bad luck when I missed THREE Yorkshire ticks whilst away in Texas...I wouldn't have swapped it I hasten to add. Three in three weeks takes some doing though!!

BAIKAL TEAL, CASPIAN TERN and ROCK THRUSH.

The IVORY GULL saved the year however. What a bird, for so many reasons. One being it was on my Patch!

Year totals

Average to embarrassing I would say. In my defence I didn't push too hard. Must try harder though...and I will this year. Don't want to set targets too high, too early!

Patch 170
Spurn 144
Holmpton 103
Duff 40

So that's it. Brief and uninspired I admit. I prefer to look forward than reflect. Here's to 2014 although 2013 produced some amazing MEGA'S. Below are the birds I still haven't seen in Britain that occurred last year..

PINE GROSBEAK - Shetland (I should have gone)
PACIFIC SWIFT - Suffolk
ASCENTION FRIGATEBIRD - Argyle and Bute
WHITE-THOATED NEEDLETAIL - Tarbet, Western Isles
SWINHOE'S PETREL - Shetland
FEA'S PETREL - Northumberland
SYKES'S WARBLER - Shetland
HUDSONIAN WHIMBREL - Shetland
THICK-BILLED WARBLER - Shetland
SIBERIAN RUBYTHROAT - Shetland
MYRTLE WARBLER - Lundy, Devon
BLACK-BROWED ALBATROSS - Cornwall

Further trips to Shetland may be needed! Although, as the BRUNNICH'S GUILLEMOT proved, they turn up further south...eventually...if you live long enough!

All the best for 2014...

No comments: