Tuesday 1 November 2011

Scilly Summary

Another visit complete. Managed to nudge my IOS list to 195 (see Bubo). Might make 200 next year? New additions came in a mix of MEGAS and Island rarities.

NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH

It was early!

WILSON'S SNIPE - second record but recently accepted
RED-EYED VIREO
LESSER YELLOWLEGS
Pectoral Sandpiper
Great-spotted Woodpecker
Treecreeper

Plus amazing close views of UPLAND SANDPIPER, my second record after seeing a pair on the airfield in '99.


It was great to meet many old friends again and get to know some new ones. I particularly enjoyed acquainting myself with Viv Stratton and Bryan Thomas. The restricted movement wasn't ideal but at least I made it. BIG thanks to Mark at the digs for ferrying me around the islands at a moments notice..cheers pal.

The minus side of the trip was obviously dipping the SCARLET TANAGER. I still feel I had the correct strategy (although I would, wouldn't I!!). It seems that the general consensus now is that there were 2 different birds. I'm not sure if that's more or less amazing than a single bird hopping over to Scilly?

No comments: