Tuesday 31 May 2011

PAUL SCHOLES 1994- 2011

Following on from my Football summary, today I'm paying tribute to another great who's just announced his retirement.

Paul Aaron Scholes, born in Salford, a one club man (I'm not a Utd fan). Scorer of all types of goals including many headers and incredible volleys. A total controller of the midfield with an almost force field type presence no matter what the opposition (Mark Hughes had a similar gift as a target man).

Mis-used by many England managers especially Erickson, who's master plan was to play him wide left, expecting him to do 100 yd runs along the touchline in 100 degree heat!!! This finished him off for me...he'd had enough! What a waste, as we've had the Lampard/Gerrard fiasco ever since...

I mentioned some of my personal greats over the years, I have no hesitation in placing Paul in this category. People like Bobby Charlton and Ray Wilkins are better qualified to comment than I but I can only endorse their sentiments.

The thing I loved about Paul was his quiet unassuming nature, no big ego here, just a total confidence in his own innate ability which commanded total respect from both team mates and opposition. OK he can't tackle but nobodies perfect!

To me it's a pity last Saturdays game couldn't have been a fitting finale to a brilliant career...again he could have made a difference...

So that's it, he's gone. We'll never see his like again...Thanks Paul, it was a pleasure.

Wayne Rooney "The best I've played with or against"

At the risk of overkill...just watched Sir Bobby Charltons tribute...class!

No comments: