Saturday 5 September 2015

Holmpton triangle!

If at first you don't succeed...

Managed to set myself up for 8ish (late shift). Now what can I see on the sea? Hundreds of Gannets streaming past, mainly North, with some large groups in formation. Great to see.

I won't dwell on the stream of goodies being seen down the road (for a change). However at 9.05 I got a message "Cory's Shearwater north past Spurn". Right! Here I am, in position and it's heading my way. This was one of the scenarios I'd envisaged when I moved over here. I'd like to report that it came by close and I got great views. It didn't. Nor did the Sabine's Gulls...or at least I didn't see them.

Never mind.

My focus is the M.V. Canada shipwreck marker which is just under 2 miles off Holmpton. Maybe birds heading North from Spurn are further out to sea by the time they pass me at Out Newton cliff? That's my excuse anyway!




I DID see 6 Sooty Shearwaters (which I was very pleased with) and a Bonxie plus numerous Kittiwakes (H.84, P.139). I enjoyed my 3 hour watch.


No comments: