Saturday 2 April 2011

Luck runs out...

Started on Skipwith this morning. At the top of Sands Lane I spotted a couple of birders sat in the rear of a hatchback. Just as I approached them I spotted a Woodlark singing in a dead tree...nice! As I reached them I informed them and asked if they were looking for the Shrike? They said they were and had been present from dawn. After a brief chat as to where it was being seen I continued. As I reached the ploughed field I raised my bins...GGS! I called them over and they enjoyed great views. Gave it  a couple of hours then returned home for a brew and to give Louise some help preparing for the Big Night (it's my Mothers 80th).
That was the lucky bit!

About 11.15 I popped down the Carrs for an hour. As I entered the hide a birder from York (sorry forgot your name...Mark ?) informed me he'd just had a LITTLE EGRET on the scrape in front of the GS hide!!
He said it had flown in, landed, then taken off towards Bubwith Ings. This was the bad luck. Still I can't complain after my recent run. Another Peregrine (imm male) performed superbly over the reserve between 11.45 - 12. No more birding today...a special night in store.

No comments: