Tuesday 12 November 2019

UAE 19 - Day 4

Settled in now, so time for a twitch!

A WHITE-CROWNED WHEATEAR had been found way up in the Northern Mountains at Al Jaroof Village...


Robert's Jeep Sahara came in handy, as the last few miles were on a dirt road. We had directions from Tommy Pederson, a resident of the UAE and a keen Birder who runs the UAE Birding website.

We arrived around noon. The directions were excellent (which is always a good start) so I sorted out a spot for Louise to read and I began searching. He had mentioned a wall that looked like a dam and I spotted one that looked "good". I gave it 30 minutes but nothing was seen...


There was more than one area like this. I had co-ordinates but I'd unsurprisingly lost my signal here.

I then tried the obvious hill with the radio mast...


Unfortunately there were two chaps having a discussion right by the mast! However as I scanned there it was, just below them!!! Amazing really...

Proof indeed
It was only there for a few seconds but I was rather chuffed to grab an image of any sort, especially when I didn't see it again in the subsequent FOUR hours. Apparently this was only the 14th record for the Country with many of those being "untwitchable". In fact this was the first "twitchable" bird for TWENTY years! Lucky me. Combine this with the MOURNING WHEATEAR I found at Jabel Hafit on my last visit, the UAE has been kind to me. I also saw 4 Pale Crag Martins and an Indian Roller...


Oscar Campbell, another resident birder based in Abu Dhabi had also been kind enough to provide me with some information. I'd already had one failed attempt to find Hamrinayah Fields, a key site in the North of the Emirates. Second time lucky as I arrived at the turf farm around 3.30pm. Water in the desert = birds. The first bird I saw was this smart chap on the fence...

Little Green Bee-eater


A better view than I managed in the whole trip last year!
 
I spent a wonderful hour scanning the assortment of waders present including a Caspian Plover...
 
 
New species for the trip (UAE ticks in bold)
 
Greater Sand Plover
Little Ringed Plover
Pacific Golden Plover
Ruff
Curlew Sandpiper
Temminck's Stint
Little Stint
Snipe
Citrine Wagtail
Tawny Pipit
Red-throated Pipit
Water Pipit
Indian Silverbill
 
 
Trip Total 61
UAE ticks 12
 








No comments: