Monday 7 January 2019

ABA Owls...through the years

Still fishing through some old pics on these dark nights. I've assembled a few that I thought I'd share on here. Brought back some great memories...

GREAT GREY OWL, Yosemite National Park, California, 2003


My finest hour!

This species is present in the park but VERY elusive. I'd failed on two previous visits to the park in previous years, so I wasn't confident of success. I got lucky with some information posted on a local Yahoo site. A birder had seen one at Wawona Meadow the previous day. I made my way up there and sure enough I found it and enjoyed an unforgettable couple of hours watching my favourite bird hunting the Meadow.

Snowy Owl, Barrow Alaska, 2007


We saw TWENTY ONE birds in an afternoon within 3 miles of the town!

Northern Hawk Owl, Anchorage, Alaska, 2007


It was the last day of trip and I'd scanned thousands of trees without any success. We pulled into a petrol station on our way to the airport...and there it was...in the car park!!!

Ferruginous Pygmy Owl, Bentson, Texas, 2002...


A resident bird was easily seen on the reserve. Alas, they are no longer present after severe flooding in 2008.

Northern Saw-whet Owl, San Bernadino Mnts, California, 2008...


A truly impressive find by Lance Benner who I'd contacted previously and was only to happy to help me. Again it was last-minute.com as we tried the last car park just before midnight. A few weekend revellers were about which didn't help but it didn't stop Lance picking out a faint noise. He shone his torch into the darkness...and there it was! Simply amazing.

Flammulated Owl, Colorado, 2011...



A nest site was visited in a private area, way off the beaten track. We had to wait a while but eventually it popped it's head out! I was in the company of Richard Crossley, a Brit who has produced ID guides.

Great memories...

No comments: