Monday 21 May 2018

Larking about

Had an hour down at Sammy's Point yesterday afternoon. I like it down there. The weather was glorious, not too hot, just fresh and clear.

As I got out of the car I could hear Whimbrel. The birds were very wary out on the mudflats but I counted 10 in all. We did the circuit and as I was returning along the man path a bird flew over my head and landed some 80 yds down the path. It was a lark but it appeared to have a short tail? My first thought was Woodlark. I managed a distant image before the bird flew off high east.

I tweeted (hate that word) the news out as my radio was dead and that was that. It later transpired that some thought that the bird maybe/was a Skylark with no tail...others didn't...at least initially. I don't get involved with on-line debate as people can make of it what they will. Besides I don't really fully understand how Twitter works....and don't want to! The important thing is to let other birders know...which I did.

I would expect other Birders to release news of birds they thought "of interest" whether definite, probable or possible. Ah but what about the fallout if you are proved wrong? Who cares...everyone makes mistakes...

..................................................................................

Big gardening day today. Setting the stall out for the summer. Hanging around the house enabled me to enjoy prolonged song from Blackcap, Goldfinch, Blackbird and Song Thrush (2). I also enjoyed views of a displaying Sparrowhawk over the back yard while having a coffee. Easy Birding...

No comments: