Tuesday 15 May 2018

Corncrake

Yesterday morning found me in the Geoff Smith hide not so bright but definitely early! I was in place by 6am and gave it the "long sit" until noon. Multiple bursts of song were heard from the comb-stroker but it just wouldn't show. Very hard to estimate distance and virtually impossible to pick out of the vegetation. Some chaps got lucky the other day when it decided to take a bath in the pool. I wasn't so lucky. On the positive side at least I heard it and the weather was glorious. A few Black-tailed Godwits in summer plumage were still around and Cuckoo and Water Rail were heard.

After recovering from my flora study I decided to head for Wheldrake Ings for an afternoon stroll. I had the accompanying song of Willow Warblers all along the riverside path. It was the first time I'd heard any this year.

It was a nostalgic walk for me and one I'm grateful I can still make. Many memories came flooding back of my times here in the 90's. Making countless visits after work and at weekends. I entered the Andy Booth Tower Hide and scanned. The Great White Egret stood out like a sore thumb, albeit distantly...


I continued down to the wind pump were I heard multiple Garden Warblers singing. Great to hear this species as it's been a few years since I'd heard this song. Just then a photographer appeared and so did a Hobby...


Onto Swantail hide were a couple more Hobbies were seen plus a Red Kite...


...and three Common Terns.

.....................................................................................

This morning I joined Phil for a walk round Kilnsea. Another lovely day but not much of note seen although we both added Spotted Flycatcher (P.111, S.83) to our year lists...

No comments: