Saturday 19 May 2018

Bluethroat

A significant moment happened today. This species has proved elusive to me over the years. I've spent many hours in various parts of Britain and abroad trying to get good views or any view of this secretive species.

A bird had been seen at Cliff Farm late on Thursday evening. I could have made it down but...I didn't! News came through mid-afternoon that the bird...or another, had appeared in John Hewitt's back garden at Driftwood. Not a bad garden tick!!

With it being a Saturday I reckoned there'd be quite a group of admirers queuing for a hopeful view, so initially I was again going to pass, especially bearing in mind my track record. Anyway around 3.30 I cracked and set off for Kilnsea. Maybe this time?

As I arrived  could see a couple of cars parked by Driftwood so I pulled up and walked round the back. There were just 5 Birders present and there was only one bird on John's lawn...


Rather surprising...to say the least!!!

Incredibly the bird started to move down the lawn towards the small group of admirers...


The bird kept close to the edge of the lawn and dipped in and out of the shadows...but it kept coming...


...and coming...


It was again...almost surreal. I couldn't help but think back to all the hours I'd spent waiting in anticipation to see this species...well. Yet there it was right in front of me. It was a timely reminder to me to treat each situation with a clean slate. Guess it was my lucky day...


I was only there 10 minutes as the bird then made it's way back up John's lawn. Not before I managed one more though...

Bluethroat (P.112, S.84)
Many thanks to John for putting the news out and allowing access to his garden. It was certainly a good decision...this time.

No comments: