Thursday 16 March 2017

Slow day.

Stayed local. We started after a late breakfast at Anarita Park. The weather is still inclement but it's a change!

Further cracking views of 2 Lesser Kestrels were obtained and some better pics. I managed a couple of perched views. Also seen was a dashing Cyprus Pied Wheatear but I still can't find a Finsch's.

Further quality included 2 Blue Rock Thrushes one of which was singing it's understated song. A Quail was also "wetting it's lips".

The main event came when I tracked down and photographed (from the car) a superb male Isabelline Wheatear. Great to have time to study the subtle differences in plumage and structure. A very upright and lanky species.

After lunch we were going to have a ride up to Kadasi, another Finsch's Wheatear site were I saw 3 last winter but the clouds looked heavy so we ended up back at Agia Vavara admiring a pair of Great Spotted Cuckoos.

Another big day out around Limassol at the Akrotiri headland tomorrow. Forecast looks promising and plenty of great sites to visit. Maybe I'll see my Great Black-headed Gull (Pallas's).

Species count 93








No comments: