Thursday 12 January 2017

Bird Jog!

My racing days are over. It was my first day off this year so I wanted to have a decent look at the Patch.
 
It made sense to start on the sea...at least to me. Wind direction wasn't great and it panned out that way with only 4 Red-throated Divers seen in an hour!? Tesco next for my pack-up then the Sewage. Some nice birds seen around here. Pied Wagtail seen immediately...I wonder? Yes! Grey Wagtail, always a good addition in January. 3 Song Thrushes were definitely noteworthy! We took a walk along the cliff. The main hope was Snow Bunting which alas didn't materialize. I did however add Sanderling (2) and Ringed Plover (16).
 
It was approaching lunchtime now, so I dropped my four-legged friend off at home, checked the feeders...Goldfinch (4), Tree Sparrow (2) and Wren and continued down to Spurn. I drove down to the entrance gate then slowly made my way back. Nothing of note was seen but I did add some common Year birds including Grey Plover and Bar-tailed Godwit.
 
After lunch at Easington boatyard (still nothing passing on the sea) I moved back to Kilnsea Wetlands and went for a walk which included Beacon Ponds. 3 smart male Goldeneye were present plus a decent number of Wigeon (c120). Beacon Ponds produced the best sighting of the whole day. A glorious fly-by of 33 Black-tailed Godwits! VERY nice. 8 Little Grebes were also seen.
 
Three attempts at my Little Owl site all failed to produce a sighting. 
 
Stops at Skeffling and Welwick produced surprisingly little although the weather had deteriorated significantly. On the way though I stumbled on 5 Teal on the main drain near Outstray lane...my only sighting of the day...that's Birding! I finished off in the gloom at Stone Creek. Things were brightened by Short-eared Owl, Barn Owl (3) and a lone Fieldfare finishing off the much depleted berries. No Hen Harriers were seen.
 
After my series of very early mornings recently I was flagging, so I headed home satisfied with my tally and sightings.
 
Texas pic. Vermilion Flycatcher, Estero Llano S.P...
 
 
Yes...they are this red!
 

No comments: