Monday 12 December 2016

Local Quality

A foggy start this morning at 60F. I made it back to the McAllen Nature Park for the opening time of 8am. Another try for the Audubon's Oriole! I went straight to the northern feeder station were the bird had been photographed...
 
 
I gave it an hour but no sign. I did have a nice comparison of Long-billed (with one leg unfortunately)...
 
 
and Curve-billed Thrashers...
 
 
The Curve-billed should be called Long-billed? Great for me to have prolonged looks at both together for comparison. The CB a much greyer bird.
I covered all areas of the park until 11. The sun had burned off the fog and the temperature was rising fast...80F. Still no sign of the Oriole. As I was walking across a patch of open land on my way back to Louise...
 
 
I was surprised but overjoyed to see these 2 beauties perched on a dead thorn...
 
Scissor-tailed Flycatchers
Obviously not being a "local" I thought they were just summer visitors? Ebird informs me that is not the case as some birds remain in Texas through the winter. Still a big treat for me...
 
 
A stunning bird, I think you would agree. Made the morning and wiped away the disappointment of not seeing the Oriole.
 
After our usual Starbucks lunch we headed for Estero Llano Grande another in the chain of reserves that makes up the modestly named "World Birding Centre". The Valley is blessed with some fantastic habitat that has been preserved by funding and much hard work. The warm/hot wind had picked up now but we weren't complaining after the "cold snap". I decided against birding the reserve as the wind was just too strong. Louise needed some "chill time" so I set her up in a sheltered spot to read her novel and headed back to the Progresso Silos just down the road.
 
Some birds a re compelling to me, I'm sure you have some too. They don't have to be rare of stunning, there's just something about them? You may not agree but there's just something about a Yellow-headed Blackbird that I like! It's a common bird, although most head south for the winter. A few linger in the Southern States. The Silos are a good spot to see them. I'd seen a few immatures but I wanted to see if there was an adult male still in decent plumage. It could be quite a task...
 
 
The light was great but the birds were very mobile...and there were THOUSANDS of them!!! Masses of "Blackbirds". Yet there's more than meets the eye here, especially in bright sunshine...
 
Red-winged Blackbird
Bronzed Cowbird
Looking for Yellow! Not seeing any? Keep scanning...there...
 
 
Then another brief sighting...is that a yellow head...
 
 
YES!!!
 
 
Now then, could I get a "clear shot"? I can't emphasis enough how mobile the birds were. They didn't allow close approach, even when crawling along...in the car of course! When they flew, they flew...away.
 
Getting a clear shot with so many birds constantly moving was proving almost impossible, especially as the adult male kept on the ground or flew a great distance. Fortunately he returned eventually...
 
Not the best BUT I love the mask
I took a series of photos but there was always something in the way as he kept to the back of the flock.
 
I had one opportunity...and I took it...
 
 
 
I worked hard for this picture, but it was worth it. Like I said, there's just something about it...for me!
 
Even the Silos looked smart in the sun...
 
 
As I returned to pick Louise up I added Common Ground Dove to the trip list and had cracking views of a Harris's Hawk looking for his supper...
 
 
A long day out tomorrow and the weather is set for the next few days.
 
Stay tuned...
 

No comments: