Wednesday 14 September 2016

Tern for the worse

Late back last night after a failed attempt to see 2 rare Terns. The venue was South Gare were I met Phil Jones who was heading South from Northumberland. It was yet another glorious September day and we enjoyed a good few hours scanning through the assortment of Terns. The White-winged Black didn't return after flying out to sea late morning and we couldn't turn any of them into a Roseate. We did get great views of a juvenile Black as consolation. A nice bonus came in the form of an Arctic Skua which gave a couple of close passes as it tried to pinch fish off the terns...
 
 
 
Today started with the usual rounds and the usual dearth of migrants. I did find a splendid juvenile Willow Warbler in the lane. These yellow youngsters really are dapper. A lone Golden Plover zoomed over in the fog calling constantly.
 
The fog wasn't clearing so I headed for the Gym.
 
After lunch I met Phil at the "sewage" and we walked the cliffs. A couple of Wheatears soon came into view. Then...a Redstart...
 
 
Always special.
 
I'd arranged to meet Phil again at 5 for a seawatch but the fog had closed in again, so I returned to the Village and scored with 2 Whinchats, a Wheatear and a late Fulmar. I also had a flock of 18 Golden Plover. There were also a few juvenile Gannets on the sea. Maybe I should have tried a seawatch anyway as a Sabine's Gull passed Spurn!
 

No comments: