Monday 2 May 2016

RLB

A double treat tonight lol!
 
Today was spent down the road. I'd missed the Rough-legged Buzzard yesterday due to my excursion but I was hoping it could possibly still be around? So...I had a drive up onto Skeffling bank and we had a walk down towards Sammy's. I gave it an hour but it was quiet. I didn't even manage my first Swift which is well overdue now.
 
A report of 5 Common Sandpipers on the Humber near the tank blocks had us on canal bank...but no sign. My scan was short-lived to be fair as Adam Hutt announced "large raptor west of Sammy's". I wonder?
 
With it being a Bank Holiday there were plenty of birders about and enough with radios. This helped me immensely on deciding were to position myself. I was on my way to Sammy's when an update informed me it was heading along the foreshore towards the Crown and Anchor. I quick U-turn and a fortunate space found me parked up and ready for the fly-by...and here it comes...
 
 
What a bird!
 
It flew very low into a strong wind. The light was hazy but who cares!!
 
Up...
 
 
...and away...
 
 
Fabulous.
 
On the way home for lunch I spotted this Marsh Harrier high over a rape field...
 
 
I detoured down towards the Cemetery and managed a closer image...
 
 
Lunch with Louise was followed by a return due to a message informing me of a pair of Garganey at Kilnsea Wetlands. Always worth seeing.
 
I arrived at the hide in poor weather to negative news but I decided to check out the pools on Holderness field as the habitat is "just right". The Avocets are always worth a detour...
 
 
Picked up Tufted Duck as a year tick as well...
 
 
A quick scan of the first pool. Bingo...
 
 
 

No comments: