Saturday 28 May 2016

BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO

Here we go then...
 
I was returning from the SW after my second failed attempt on the LAMMERGEIER when the MEGA alert sounded again...
 
Sunday 22nd May 5.54pm
 
MEGA W.Isles BLACK-BILLED CUCKOO reported North Uist in garden opposite junction of north end of Paible circular rd and main road this afternoon
 
BBC is a scarce bird in the States and would get many an American birder scurrying.
 
Time for a few phone calls...after pulling in of course! I tried a couple of numbers but got no answer. A third connected with Colin at Gamston. Game on!
 
My thoughts on selective twitching have already been aired so I won't dwell on it. I was up for the Charter on this one. After grabbing a few hours sleep I set off from the Cottage at 6.30 arriving at Gamston which is just off the A1 near Retford at 8.15. A message confirming the birds presence eased the stress somewhat.
 
We then met Colin our pilot and made our way out to the plane...
 
 
I played the dodgy leg card which enabled me to sit "up front". I was going to ask him what happens if he felt unwell, but I let it go!!! Memories of Airplane 1980 sprang to mind..."Can anyone fly a plane"?!
 
Nice bloke Colin. He was very informative and explained many things to me regarding the operation of the plane and the geography of our journey. We were blessed with excellent weather which gave us great views of the British countryside.
 
View from the cockpit
Onward to the Lake District...
 
Windermere
West coast of Scotland...
 
 
...and finally North Uist...
 
 
As we were landing I could see more light aircraft on the ground. One was just unloading...birders! The timing worked out well as we joined them in a pre-arranged mini-bus and we headed for the North of the island.
 
It took around 30 minutes to get to the site. On arrival it was re-assuring to see the assembled group of admirers in FULL focus. Within 5 minutes I was looking at my first American Cuckoo in Britain...the rarer of the two. 
 
 
It was a tick for many a big lister. It eased the personal pain of my YELLOW-BILLED dip in Cornwall when I was marooned on Scilly. I'll get that one back one day...hopefully?
 
The bird performed brilliantly in the sunshine. We got the full suite including extended flight views. The bird was very mobile covering an area of around 400 yds. The admirers understandably slackened off with some following the bird, while others just relaxed enjoying their success...
 
 
Another pic...
 

Quite a few familiar faces were present. Tony Dixon and Trevor Charlton arrived shortly after I did from the Ferry. Brett Richards was in my mini-bus. I also saw Andrew Kinghorn...amongst others.
 
A great twitch in wonderful surroundings with favourable weather...and...
 
WHAT A BIRD...
 
 

No comments: