Friday 4 May 2012

Great to get out...but COLD!

Louise dumped me in the hide around 12.30 and I settled in for a long stint. I found sitting on the bench more comfortable than I imagined, so I didn't use my pillow!

Plenty of water on the Carrs after the drought of a Winter. Prolonged scanning for the Bar-tailed Godwit failed to reap dividends. 10 Black-tails in summer plumage, although distant were nice, along with 4 Greenshank and a single Whimbrel.

I was joined by Chris Gomersall from York and we had a good chat putting the world to rights. He picked up a very distant tern over Ellerton Ings. Dave Warburton then joined us and we continued to scan but nothing more of note was seen.

Chris then left and shortly afterwards Tim Jones arrived having birded the eastern side of the valley. He'd already had a few terns but within minutes he picked up 12 Arctic Terns down the far end of the reserve. Many more seen at Thorganby. Managed to boost my Duff year list to a modest 61.

Louise picked me up and I had a snooze on the way back having had a great time. Good to get out for some air at last. Hoping to get out more from now on...as a passenger of course.

No comments: