Tuesday 30 August 2011

Holiday yarns 3 - BROWN-CAPPED ROSY-FINCH

30th July
             Having checked the Colorado bird group website I saw that some members were visiting Summit Lake below Mount Evans. I'd already tried once in poor weather but I couldn't miss this opportunity of "more eyes". This meant an early start (there's a shock!) and a long journey (c200 miles) from Gunnison to reach Island Lake by 10. Anyway, I made it...just, and could see the group scanning the col. I joined them and got talking to the leader Bob Shade (great name) who was a very sociable and pleasant chap, He soon pointed out a BCRF to me which alighted briefly about 20 metres away. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough to get a snap. I also had a couple of flight views but I reckon it was still worth the long drive...not so sure Louise agreed but as usual she was a real trouper.

No comments: