Wednesday 1 January 2020

End of a Decade

I decided to finish off with a trip to were it all started...well nearly!

I arrived at NDC around 9 yesterday and was greeted with bright sunshine and still conditions...if a little nippy. PLENTY of water...unsurprisingly. Actually too much! The depth not being conducive to Wildfowl...

An unexpected feature this Winter...hay islands1

Still, I had a pleasant hour watching the comings and goings. I dug out a few winter thrushes amongst the hawthorns...

Fieldfare
Redwing
The sound of distant Whooper Swans drifting across the river from Bubwith Ings was a constant feature. Just wonderful...

View over the river from the Geoff Smith Hide 
I was chuffed to pick out the reported 2 male Scaup on Bubwith Ings. The temperature had risen slightly (0 - 4C!) by 11 so I decided to have a walk up the river from Bubwith with Bud. I walked around 600 yds...then there they were...


For me ...there couldn't be a better setting for these noble birds. I am biased! Returning year after year since time immemorial to this natural landscape. Bliss...


Encouragingly there were many family parties present. I estimated around 30% of the c120 present...


I got lucky when 2 birds drifted over towards the river...


I couldn't find the reported Bewick's Swans (2) but somehow that seemed incidental. Just the perfect Birding scenario to end the Decade. Here's to the next one...


No comments: