Tuesday 17 December 2019

UAE Review (5) - North West

Sites visited

Hamrinayah Fields
I visited this area three times, trying to get more familiar with the area, as many others come to that. In such an arid environment you are obviously looking for mini-oasis which will attract birds. The main habitat that fits the bill is turf farms. These sprinkler fed areas can provide some great Birding.




Little Green Bee-eater


 
Caspian Plover


Sociable Lapwing
 
Bank Myna
Citrine Wagtail

Umm Al Quwain - Khor Al Beida
I didn't connect with the star bird here this visit, namely CRAB PLOVER. As I'd seen this superb bird well last year, I didn't coincide my visit with the optimum tide time. I still saw some "good stuff" here though. My best encounter was with this Isabelline (Daurian) Shrike...


This bird sat motionless,, appearing to just be enjoying the sunshine. Another was seen later...



Another Shrike sp (Southern Grey)...kept its distance...


I also had great...if brief views of Bluethroat here...my UAE tick...




My only Osprey of the trip was seen here...into a blazing sun...


...a good time to post a few Greater Flamingo pics. A thankfully common bird here...




No comments: