Sunday 15 December 2019

UAE Review (4) - North East

I don't want to drag this on too long but I think it's worth while giving a flavour of the other area we spent time in. We based ourselves in Fujairah at the superb Royal M Hotel.  5 star half board for £45pp. Very nice! Many thanks to Robert and Laura for putting us up for two weeks and lending us their Jeep.

Fujairah Sites
Fujairah Port Beach and Corniche
Khor Kalba Harbour
Khor Kalba Bridge
Khor Kalba Artificial Inlet
Wadi Ham Dam


Al Haray WWT Fujairah
Wadi Hayl
Wadi Helo
 
OK...trying hard not to repeat what was already posted in my diary. The above sites were all visited, some on more than one occasion. The tidal surge that had hit the coastline recently made navigating the Kalba area...interesting! Major road works were in place rebuilding the seawall and adjacent road system.

I can show a girl a good time!!!
My hide...

It was needed
The view
Kalba harbour turned out to be my favourite spot. Not least because of this special bird...

Sooty Gull
I admit I did overegg my time with this species but I admit to being captivated by it...

My maximum count in the Kalba Harbour area was 42 birds
It is a cracker though...for a Gull!




Socotra Cormorants were also present in small numbers.





A decent selection of Gulls and Terns including Lesser and Greater Crested...


I did have a couple of tries for the ARABIAN COLLARED KINGFISHER from the bridge but I couldn't find it...



However, I did see "our" Kingfisher...


MAJOR find last year (any excuse to post my pic again lol!)



I also bumped into Musa, the guard on the bridge who I'd met 12 months earlier. Nice to see him again...


Other Major Sites visited in the NE

Wamm Farms


Really pleased to actually access this site after last year's failure. I spent an enjoyable 4 hours here on the November 26th. The big moment was obviously finding a SOCIABLE LAPWING...


Top moment!
I took plenty of puzzling Pipit pics but as I write, I don't have a confirmed LONG-BILLED PIPIT. Plenty of Tawny images though. More to learn.

First light...


Shortly after...


Later...


This site provided me with my only quality view of Graceful Prinia...


I'll be back!

Another top Birding site is Masafi Wadi...




 
I spent some time here last year. My main target here was  PLAIN LEAF WARBLER and I'm glad to report I saw one ...well. No pic...maybe next time? No luck with Scrub Warbler this trip. Hume's Wheatear is always apparent here...
 
 
Last word has to be here...







No comments: