Monday 9 December 2019

Quest for a STELLER'S EIDER (4)

I'm writing this from Papa Westray airport...



Departure lounge

Definitely an up and down tale to tell here. This trip had most of the ingredients I like. A long distance challenge to a wild place with the chance of a MEGA. No crowds, no recent news... a gamble worth taking. It makes the outcome so much more special...if you connect!!!




Unfortunately... I didn't. I thought I had but I made an error in semi-haste. I don't like excuses, so I won't make any. I messed up!
I will say I had issues with my camera and phone connection.. fact. A laptop may have helped? The image is there though...and it's a Common...the ONLY Eider sp I saw. Right place...wrong bird! Well done to Andrew Kinghorn for putting matters straight.

Head profile and bill pattern

Ah well! No secrets here.

More on my return. Could be a lively journey home...


No comments: