Friday 15 November 2019

UAE 19 - Day 7

Slow start today after the morning commute...



Around 11 we headed South again to Al Qudra. I wanted to reach a few more sites from eBird. Having the Jeep certainly helped. We drove the tracks to the South Cycle area...


Targets here were Cream-coloured Couser, Greater Hoopoe Lark and Lappet-faced Vulture. None seen but a very relaxing hour was spent in total solitude. Definitely "away from it all". We see some amazing things on our travels. Today we came across this environmental centre which looked like something off Star Trek..


There was a large solar-powered electrical power station also. No problem with raw material here!

I'd looked yet again for Arabian Babbler at the Bike Cafe without success so I decided to try another series of lakes known as Duck Lakes.

Now then, as us Birders know only to well, you can search and search for target birds to no avail. It can be frustrating at times but it's always a challenge I want to take on. As well as birds you know are out there, you hope you may come across something more " unexpected ". Today was such a day.

As we approached the first lake I noticed a bird in the top of a distant bush that looked " good". It was obviously a Bee-eater but it didn't look that "little ". I reached for my bins and there it was...a Blue-cheeked Bee-eater.

As you know, when planning a trip you always dream of stumbling across a scarce/rare migrant. I'd just done so. Happy days. There are a few records every Autumn but the window was closing. Looking at eBird my record is at the latter end of the window

Too brief for my camera, unfortunately and I couldn't re-locate it in the next hour before dusk...


A tremendous end to our first week. Friday and Saturday is the weekend here, so time will be spent with Robert and Laura with limited or no Birding. I pick my hire car up on Saturday evening which will give more time for Birding next week, when they return to work.

Stay tuned.

Trip 71
UAE 120

No comments: