Sunday 3 November 2019

Puzzling Pipit?

Yes...I bit!

I made the journey to Sennen, Cornwall yesterday morning for this controversial bird. Yet another!!!

A PADDYFIELD PIPIT apparently!?

Understandable ID confirmation and provenance issues, as always, rear their heads with such birds. So why did I go if I have doubts? I went for the experience. I still enjoy the challenge and let's face it, I don't get many opportunities these days!

The weather was horrendous on the journey down with gale force winds, lashing rain and significant surface water on the M5. I made it though. On reaching Penzance I paid a visit to Tesco for some provisions, hoping the weather would abate...it didn't!

I made my way up to the site at Sennen arriving around 2pm. It then stopped raining. I parked and got my stuff together. There had been one early morning report but nothing since? I could see the group of Birders over the wall and they did appear to be "focussed". I negotiated the wall...eventually...


...and joined the group. Sure enough the bird was showing to around 20 yards!! No pic I'm afraid as I deliberately left it in the car due to the weather...and the grotty bird!


The massive field
I watched it for around 15 minutes then returned to exercise Bud before the next downpour...which duly arrived.

VERY lucky with my timing.

I stayed overnight in a very reasonable B&B and cruised back today. So there you go. I've seen it. An insurance/obligation/hypocritical...possible tick! Hypocritical because I've turned down birds I don't rate in the past, as you may remember? Trouble is, most things seem to get the thumbs up these days and I don't want to get relegated lol!  As already stated, I guess there's no cure for the thrill of the chase...even though this time it was less than thrilling. It will be interesting to see what's decided regarding this particular occurrence. No European records and poor condition can't help its case I feel? Time will tell.

The bottom line is...no-one knows BUT a decision will have to be made and I will adhere to it purely for listing purposes. If that confirms my hypocrisy...so be it!

...................................................................................

UAE planning all but complete now. I'll be doing a diary, if you care to follow?

No comments: