Saturday 12 October 2019

REV

I thought I'd try a different slant on this one...

11.40 E.Yorks Red-eyed Vireo on Vicar's Lane Easington


I was soon hearing a knock on my door. It was Richard. I told him I'd got a few things to do and I'd pop down later (playing it cool!?) He said he needed a lift, so I took him down to Easington and then returned home. Why?

Well, I saw the 1990 bird in Kilnsea...September 30th to be exact...and that's from memory!

My story...

I'd been birding around 4 years but was still on a steep learning curve...maybe I still am! It had been raining hard all morning and I'd positioned myself in the Canal Scrape hide. It was early afternoon when I heard some heavy footsteps running along the road. I also heard some shouts but couldn't make out what was being said. Anyway, it was definitely worth investigating!

I followed them down towards the Blue Bell were a small crowd had already gathered. Obviously curious, I asked one of them what all the fuss was about. It's a "RED-EYED VIREO". I said..."Oh", not wanting to show my ignorance. I didn't have a clue what it was BUT I figured it was RARE.

It had turned out to be a VERY good decision to travel through from York that day. A superb LIFER and Yorkshire tick (although I wasn't Yorkshire listing then) to boot. So, 29 years later, a second record and a superb find by Mick Turton.

I did pop down mid-afternoon for a peep but couldn't manage a decent pic. A few of my pals couldn't make it today for one reason or another, so if it sticks I'll go down again tomorrow for another go, although the forecast isn't good.

A quality bird no matter how many turn up, and there are quite a few records this Autumn...not on the East coast I hasten to add! The species has got somewhat de-valued (by some) over the years. Not by me. It's a superb species and a hardy one.

My Blocker (a bird seen that many other haven't) has gone. No matter, great for others to add it to their list. I still have CLIFF SWALLOW...for Yorkshire/Spurn.

No comments: