Sunday 13 October 2019

RED-EYED VIREO 2 - Closure

Great to hear the news that the little jewel was still present this morning which meant Steve Lawton, Haydn Paterson and Phil Jones were able to connect. However, the weather was horrendous which meant I wimped out and stayed at home!

Louise has a course in Stockport tomorrow, so she left just before noon allowing me to enjoy the World Cup Rugby match between Japan and Scotland. I'm not a big Rugby follower but it WAS a truly memorable game with the passing skills of the Japanese truly mesmerising. Home support is so important and a great advantage.

The forecast suggested the rain would relent around 2pm...it didn't! By 3.15 I'd had enough and I drove down to Easington anyway. I  figured by now most would have had their fill of the bird and the crowd wouldn't be too large. It turned out that way and I joined around 40 Birders waiting to get views of the Star bird. There were two distinct groups which I found quite amusing as I didn't initially want to ask which one was for the REV! Steve had mentioned an Elderberry bush, so I positioned myself at the rear of the crowd and waited....and waited!

This little lane at the south end of the Gas Terminal has produced some great birds over the years. I think there was a SIBERIAN ACCENTOR there once!!!

A Yellow-browed Warbler...then a Pied Flycatcher. Siskins shooting overhead  and plenty of Thrushes. Great stuff!

Where was the main attraction though? A bit of a scurry ensued. A bird had just shot into the bush...Robin! Then another...

Classic leaf in the way!
Not great in the continuing gloom and drizzle but I'd got an image. The bird soon shot off into the distance. News then came through of a GREAT SNIPE on Beacon Lane. You've got to be on the ball at Spurn in October. This signalled the departure of most of the Birders, which was handy as I then had a better view of the bush enabling me to get some better pics...


Spurn just kept on giving as I had a brief peep at the GREAT SNIPE tucked into the long grass by the path on Beacon Lane. I did see the head pattern! On the way home I noticed a group of Whooper Swans by Long Bank...

Always nice to see
The BIG treat was our visitor from across the pond. A truly special bird...


Many thanks to the lady who first spotted the bird resting on the branch.

A report of a mainland YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO this evening in Cornwall. My Nemesis bird. Mmmm...decisions, decisions...?

Update: 21.23

Cornwall repeat; YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOO SW of Bude at Crackington Haven at Hentervene Holiday Park (for second day)

Game on...

No comments: