Wednesday 4 September 2019

BROWN BOOBIES - A nice pair!

Been quite a week!!

After my first venture to Cornwall last Tuesday/Wednesday...and all the "fun" that ensued, the/a bird was seen going west past Pendeen on Saturday. Earlier in the day it was sat on a rock for a while in Porthgwidden Bay, St Ives giving crippling views...which obviously would have been nice! That was that then...or was it?

The plot thickened mid-morning on Monday when the/a BROWN BOOBY was found at Kynance Cove on the Lizard peninsular.

The bird had settled on a rock in the Cove and showed all day!

When to go?
  • Overnight and gamble
  • Set off early next morning and react on news
  • Wait for news at home
It WOULD be nice to get a better view of a first for Britain? I set off from home around 10.30pm. Reaching Hull I grabbed the obligatory McDonald's coffee. Something didn't feel right. I'm big on "gut feeling". I headed home.

Tuesday morning. I woke at 5.30am, showered and dressed and off. The new plan was to get through Hull before the traffic, drive a while and wait for news...

Cornwall BROWN BOOBY 1s The Lizard at Kynance Cove flew to rock near car park at 8.13am

I was already on the M42, which was a good start. Onward.

After a smooth journey I arrived around 3pm...


...and parked up in the large but crowded car park.  After sorting my gear and dog out, we headed down the path to overlook the Cove...

Small triangular rock on the left
A small group of Birders remained and the atmosphere was very relaxed...not for me though, as I hadn't seen it yet! After getting a tactical, initial view through a kind gents 'scope, I settled down to enjoy a pleasant hour watching the bird on a distant rock. I have to admit I was disappointed with the distance but I could see it well enough through the 'scope...


A couple of (poor) cropped record shots



No comments: