Wednesday 21 August 2019

Catch up

Today I continued my tried and trusted policy of "nice and easy does it"...at least for year listing! After covering Holmpton early morning, during which time I finally bumped into a couple of Mediterranean Gulls at Old Hive, I made my way down the road to try for a few Patch/Spurn Year ticks.

I walked the Canal and picked up "non-singing" Sedge and Reed Warbler...don't laugh! No Coot though. As I approached the Crown & Anchor I spotted a couple of Turnstones on the foreshore. Then a Wheatear, then two. My final count in 50 yards was SIX!

Well Field produced 5 Whinchats and a Stonechat.

I then stopped off at Sykes Field to try for the Marsh Warblers that had bred there. First bird...Marsh Warbler, seen well albeit briefly...not again in 30 minutes.

Finally back to Kilnsea Wetlands for a sit in the hide. Only one Birder present. A peaceful hour was spent enjoying what came and went. A LRP gave great views in front of the hide, always a pleasure to see...

Late news this evening of a Bonelli's Warbler sp South of the breach. News broke at 6.30pm. I was tempted BUT...

I've seen Western at Spurn before. The odds are heavily stacked towards it being this species...time of year, previous records nationally...backed up later by response to tape, strongly suggesting the "commoner" species. No call was heard.

Might pop down in the morning, if still present. I need a good walk...

P.117
H.91
S.86

No comments: