Sunday 19 May 2019

Texas 19 - Pineywoods

April 28th and it was time for some woodland birds...hopefully!

After a few thought shifts I decided to try W.G.Jones State Forest North of Houston...



I've visited this special woodland on numerous occasions but never had good views of the star bird...namely Red-cockaded Woodpecker. As with so many species, habitat loss has sadly restricted opportunities to view this bird. This site is the "go to" site in Texas...so why should I be any different!



We arrived around 9am. Being very familiar with the site I made my way to the prime area and started the well marked walk. Some tracks were blocked off...for obvious reasons. There were a few other Birders around. Other key species were on offer here, including Pileated and Red-headed Woodpeckers.

Typical habitat...



Nesting trees are marked with green dye, which I guess gives you a chance, at the right time. Dawn and Dusk improve your chances, but you can't be...etc etc. I chatted with a passing Birder who also wasn't having any luck. It was his fourth attempt! I then heard some "tapping". Eventually I spied the culprit...

Red-headed Woodpecker
A less than satisfying view admittedly!


 The other Birders had disappeared down the track by now. I decided it was time to follow. As I rounded the bend I could see them all returning with big smiles! Yep, they'd connected. After congratulating them, I asked for directions and continued down the track. I was on my own, hoping I'd understood the directions...I'm sure you know the feeling!!

I stood in the described area...and waited...and waited. There was a marked tree in the area which was encouraging but after an hour...nothing. It was midday and getting hot by now. I must admit to losing hope. I decided to give it a little longer...and it paid off!!! A movement, a Woodpecker...but which one?

Red-cockaded Woodpecker
A great moment. Things then got even better as the bird moved to nearby trees, amazingly ending up on the tree right by the track. My lucky day!

A special bird indeed!
Another undoubted highlight of my trip.

After another wonderful picnic lunch in the woods we headed East to try for my other main target for the day in the Liberty area. The municipal Park was out destination which would hopefully give me panoramic views over the adjacent woodland. It did. I was soon observing, albeit distantly a pair of superb Mississippi Kites, my first of the trip. No sign of my main target yet though. I decided to try an area around the back of the woodlands outside the Park.

Here comes the "deja vu" moment. I drove around the estate eventually deciding on an empty church car park...



It then hit me that I'd been here before! I'd been taken here by a friend of a friend some 15 years previous. The moment was enhanced by the sight of my target Swallow-tailed Kite floating over...


Very satisfied with how this special day panned out...

1 comment:

Pam said...

It's a good feeling when everything works out isn't it!