Thursday 23 May 2019

BAIKAL TEAL at Kilnsea Wetlands

News broke at 8.05am...

MEGA E.Yorks BAIKAL TEAL drk north of Kilnsea on Kilnsea Wetlands

One problem...I was working! I looked at my timetable, a two hour break in With' from 11.30. So unlucky...yet lucky? The morning passed quickly and I was in my car and heading home by 11.40. A quick word with Louise and after grabbing my gear, I was heading for Kilnsea. A made a briskish walk to the hide, passing a couple of Birders informing me it was "showing well".

It was showing quite well...


A striking Drake.

Now then...yep...provenance!!! You've heard the speech before. This bird is almost certainly the bird seen previously further South....now moving North? "Suspect origin" always appears amongst other clichés. Wildfowl is especially susceptible to doubt. This bird has been seen well. I missed the Flamborough bird...was that of "suspect origin"? What's the difference?

Then we have Hooded Mergansers, Buffleheads...er Chinese Pond Herons bla de bla...

Committees make decisions. I abide by them for listing purposes...doesn't mean I always agree. Does that make me a hypocrite? Possibly...but then I don't take this crazy game too seriously...

Pending...

No comments: