Sunday 21 April 2019

Texas 19 - Day 7

Easter Saturday meant it was time to leave Galveston for the day.

I re-visited Corps Woods at dawn to see if my little friend was still present. He was!
The sun shone on his tree at 7.20...but he'd disappeared. I left at 8 with no further sign. I did add Chimney Swift to the trip list with at least 10 birds shooting around over the reserve.

We made it onto the Ferry by 9 and off we went to High Island...


I made one stop on the way to try for Upland Sandpiper. None on on the turf but I scored two trip ticks with Whimbrel and Long-billed Curlew.

I wanted to try the Hooks Wood sanctuary today as I'd always concentrated on Boy Scout Woods and Smith Oaks on previous visits.The decision paid off handsomely...

Cerulean Warbler

One of three males I saw today!

Chestnut-sided Warbler

Not the best angle but my sharpest image
Golden-winged Warbler

A record shot!
Blue-winged Warbler


Black and White Warbler
Hooded Warbler
Kentucky Warbler
Prothonotary Warbler
Worm-eating Warbler
Ovenbird
Blue-headed Vireo


Warbling Vireo
Swainson's Thrush
Grey-cheeked Thrush
Veery

The male Cerulean was the first bird I saw after I got out of the car! Incredible views of this unfortunately declining Warbler. Tough to take pics of fast moving birds under the canopy, the main thing is to enjoy SEEING them and believe me I did!

Late afternoon was spent enjoying Smith Oaks and the Rookery...

Roseate Spponbill

Trip Total...144

No comments: