Saturday 20 April 2019

Texas 19 - Day 6

The wind was in the North...well North-West! Promising...again!

The rain had gone and thankfully so had the lightening. I'd arranged to meet Lorna at Lafitte's but she didn't show so I made my way solo into the Oak Mott (a Texas term for small group of trees). There are a few open areas and if you plan accordingly you may see birds in sunlight...if they are present of course. The drips are in shade however. I know which areas I prefer.

The central open area is where I positioned myself and after around 30 minutes I started to see stuff...

American Redstart...


Yellow Warbler...

A ray of sunshine
Black-throated Green Warbler...


All were feeding very actively. I also saw a Blue-winged Warbler, Black and White Warbler, Hooded Warbler and another stunning Baltimore Oriole (a bird I will never tire of seeing). I also saw my first Hummingbird a Ruby-throated ...

Female
So, a decent session before leaving at 9. Unfortunately on my return I realized I'd received a message from Lorna saying she was on her way to Lafitte's! Pity, as I wanted to say goodbye...for now.

We left our place around 11 and headed West down the Island. First stop was 8 mile road. One of my targets was Upland Sandpiper (for no particular reason except I like the species?!). We turned onto the road and I inspected the Ducks present on the first pool. Some very smart Fulvous Whistling Ducks were present...


Twenty minutes later I was looking at my Galveston US albeit distantly in vegetation. The NW winds made me visit Lafitte's again early afternoon in case more birds had dropped in. They had! The star turn was a female Cerulean Warbler...


As we were watching the bird I overheard a conversation..."There's a Cape May Warbler at Corps Woods"!!!!!!! Exit stage left.

We arrived some thirty minutes later. Louise stet her stall out and I disappeared around the corner. There was a young girl standing there looking intently into the trees. I asked her the inevitable question. She answered "Yes, I saw it 5 minutes ago"!!! This was a BIG deal for yours truly. Could I finally get my Texas Cape May after 11 visits over 19 years. The answer?

Oh Yes!!! My 469th species for this wonderful State
Goodnight...

Trip Total 132

No comments: