Sunday 24 March 2019

NDC - Sanderling (156)

My luck is definitely IN at the moment. Despite a series of important family commitments I still seem to be connecting with the birds.

Today found us in Beverley with Louise's daughter and FiancĂ© for an early Mothers Day celebration.

Yesterday afternoon news broke of a Sanderling at Duff. A rare bird indeed inland and a potential NDC and York Area tick. The bird was still present today and continued to be reported up until early afternoon at least. The good lady gave me the nod around 3 and drove me to NDC.

As I started to walk to Garganey Hide a Birder was returning to his car. It was Duncan Bye who watches Wheldrake. Nice to finally meet him. We had a chat and then I continued to the hide. Jono Leadley was "on" the bird, which was handy...and a relief! A major record for Duff, helped by the early date, meaning low vegetation and better viewing. MANY birds must slip through in April/May due to poor visibility...unfortunately!

For the record...


It was a fair distance lol!

No comments: