Thursday 21 February 2019

TENGMALM'S OWL - A Cathartic post

Seeing as I'm laid up I have time to post some reflections...

I woke this morning to the news the TO was back, after the storm, in the same location! IF I'd travelled I WOULD have gambled on last nights Ferry and would be looking at it NOW!!! (Cue Violins). I CAN assure you I'm STILL as keen as the next twitcher...and always will be...BUT some things ARE more important and my present circumstances prohibit travel. Let's just leave it at that.

Tough one, especially considering it's an Owl and it's almost certain to be seen.

I know of some chaps who turned around yesterday on negative news. Another tough scenario. Many congrats to those who gambled or are travelling today and beyond. No sour grapes here I can assure you. I'll get the next one!!!!!!

In such circumstances my mind inevitably travels back to similar (thankfully not many) occasions...

WILSON'S WARBLER
THICK-BILLED WARBLER
PALLAS'S GRASSHOPPER WARBLER

To name but three.

Each bird has its own unique set of circumstances. The WW arrived when I was on Scilly and Louise was happy for me to leave and travel to the Outer Hebrides to try for it. I didn't.

The TBW arrived just after I'd cancelled our booking for our holiday on Shetland due to my leg. I'd have seen it on our first evening.

The PG Tips was missed by minutes at Spurn. You've probably heard that one!

Rarity value or experience? Both preferably. The first of the three would be my choice considering my strong bias towards the New World. The other two are frankly...rather boring IMHO.

Got me thinking about "Type of twitch". As you can see I have a "Rush Birds" list. The twitches that have been the most...exciting. In fact I've just had another look. I guess I'm happy with the order "Pop Pickers".

Even though I've place it at No 3 my solo AMUR FALCON twitch will take some beating for adrenaline rush. I guess the NIGHTHAWK and CLIFF SWALLOW have an element of nostalgia built in but were truly exhilarating moments I can assure you.

As previously stated I came into the game fairly late, opening with a GREAT BUSTARD dip!!! So from a lifetime perspective I was quite a few down from the start. Never bunking off School cost me many from 1990 through 2011 as well as holidays abroad. I'm still dipping them lol! I guess I'm an Everton rather than a Manchester United/City. As my Dad used to say..."There'll always be better, there'll always be worse".

There...I feel (slightly) better. Adding to this my plane crash I consider myself very fortunate to still be enjoying this wonderful hobby/obsession...in fact life at all!!
 
 
There'll be another...

2 comments:

chris elliott said...

Hope you will soon be better and able to get out twitching
Chris

Alan Whitehead said...

Cheers Chris. Much appreciated.