Friday 4 January 2019

Something cheerful!

Finally feeling a bit more like it. So, to celebrate, I thought I WOULD post a few memories from 2018. I realize my year is already chronicled in my Blog, but hey...it's something to do on a cold dark Winter's evening.
 
Cyprus was better this time than I could have ever imagined. To see CASPIAN PLOVER, CREAM- COLOURED COURSER, BIMACULATED LARK, BLUE-CHEEKED BEE-EATER, ROCK THRUSH, RUPPELL'S WARBLER, CITRINE WAGTAIL all to within 20 yards...was simply amazing!!! No apologies for posting again...










Especially remarkable was the fact that the CCC turned up in the same area of rough ground at Mandria, that the CP had done a few days earlier!! Simply amazing...and VERY lucky...for me. I also met some great people

At home the WHITE-RUMPED SWIFT was obviously a BIG surprise...and being just up the road was a trifle...fortunate...this time!


Followed shortly afterwards by the long awaited GREY CATBIRD that turned up at Land's End. A very special bird...


Other significant birds (that I can remember) include the LITTLE SWIFT at Hartlepool Headland which performed brilliantly.

I added Green-winged Teal, Squacco Heron, Greater Sand Plover, Baird's Sandpiper, Red-rumped Swallow to my Spurn list, which now stands at 305. GSP was also a Yorkshire tick as was the WRS...obviously!

Even more locally was my magic moment on the cliff top, when on November 2nd I spotted a WHITE-TAILED EAGLE flying North offshore. Simply magnificent in more ways than one...



Other Holmpton ticks came in the form of Whooper Swan, Pintail, Tufted Duck, Great White Egret, Black-tailed Godwit and Little Auk. The WS over Tesco car park then along Holmpton road at dusk were simply stunning. A truly evocative experience. The prolonged stay of the GWE was also very special...


This IS Holmpton! My total now stands at a modest 164.

My garden highlight was having this cracker bathing in my Bird bath...briefly. So pleased to have reacted quick enough to get this image through the back window.

Pied Flycatcher
I reckon the WTE and the Pied Fly will take some beating! I'll try though.

My beloved Duff gave up Iceland Gull (finally) and Rock Pipit to make my total 155.

The year concluded with my trip to Dubai, which let's face it, is still pretty fresh in the mind. It was different.

So, I managed a review after all!

No comments: