Sunday 6 January 2019

RNG re-visited

When I first got interested in Birdwatching as a pastime one of the first sites I visited with my young sons was Ashbyville Pits opposite Scunny Steelworks. It had a fairly impressive track record of turning up decent birds, most of which I'd never heard of at the time! This site was also my first encounter with John Harriman.

One frosty Winter's day I was walking round the lake (which was mainly frozen) when I noticed an unusual bird with the Mallards in a small area of unfrozen water. I didn't have a clue what it was BUT it was intriguing. Eventually I figured I out, it was my first Red-necked Grebe.

This morning I made the trip to Castle Howard to try for the RNG that had been found there yesterday morning by Tim Jones on a Bird Race reccy. I slipped up yesterday by not reacting quick enough ((I blame the flu!). I arrived at the Great Lake around 9.30 and headed for the car park. Unfortunately, it no longer exists, so I had to improvise!

It was a still morning if rather overcast as I made my way round the footpath. A few scans failed to reveal my quarry but the further I walked the better the light became. The bird had been reported first thing (which was a relief) but after 45 minutes I was beginning to worry? It's a deceptively large area of water and I guess a diving grebe can prove elusive...that's my excuse anyway! Then as if by magic it appeared...


Phew!!!

Got away with it then. My 205th species for the York Area. Only took me THIRTY TWO years!!!!!!

No comments: