Monday 5 November 2018

RLB

I started at dawn in Easington. A super-optimistic attempt to connect with yesterdays DUSKY THRUSH. I was at one end of the site and Steve Exley was at the other. Plenty of Blackbirds appeared in the next hour...but no DT. I was joined around 8.15 by another Birder. We were chatting about the recent WTE when a message came through over the radio informing us a Rough-legged Buzzard (P.178, S.129) was showing at Kilnsea Wetlands. Always been a personal favourite! We made our way to our cars and headed down Easington straight. The bird was perched in a small bush by the hump-backed bridge...


It was till quite dull but the bird looked stunning even in the poor light. It sat there for around 15 minutes...


...before flying low along Long Bank towards Kilnsea Wetlands...


A nice hover in the mist before I left...


I left the admiring crowd and headed for Easington "boatyard" to try for the Shorelarks (P.179, S.130) that had been reported on Easington Lagoons. As I was walking down the beach I bumped into a Birder who told me he couldn't find any. He asked me if they had been reported today. I checked and told him they had but he'd had enough and carried on. As I approached 4 birds flew low across the sand infront of me...yep...Shorelarks! My lucky day.

I could see them down the seaward side of the lagoon but the sun was in my eyes to the South...


They then flew to the other side of the lagoon. Better light but further away. The four of them fed happily by the waters edge...

One of them
After lunch I returned to Kilnsea as the RLB was still present. I was hoping for better light but the afternoon turned into a typical November one with diffuse light due to thickening mist and cloud. It was mild though!

At one stage the bird made a short flight onto Beacon Ponds. I made my way up there bumping into John Grist on the way. Nice to see him after quite a while! We both enjoyed a surprise Black Redstart (P.180, S.131)...


I also sneaked a Yellowhammer (S.132) in the adjacent hedge...


I could see the RLB perched on a concrete slab some 50 yds away. It took off and flew directly towards me...


The light had "gone" by now, so I made my way back towards the car. fortunately the RLB was back on a post opposite the hide, allowing me to get one further image that came out remarkably well, considering the conditions...


A truly stunning bird!

No comments: